Interactive Washington Boater Safety Course
The fastest Washington boaters safety course—no timers! ilearntoboat.com is a delegated boating safety provider for the Washington State Parks.
You need boating education in Washington if you will be operating a boat of powered by a motor of 15 hp or more or a PWC.
How to Get your Boating Certificate in 4 Easy Steps
est. 2–3 mins
Sign up for your ilearntoboat® student account, pay for the course, and get started right away.
est. 3–4 hrs
Study & Pass the Online Course
Learn at your own pace on any device. We automatically save your progress, whether you take the course on desktop, tablet or mobile.
est. 1–5 mins
Print Your Temp Card Immediately
You're able to print your temporary boating certificate as soon as you've passed the online exam.
est. 0 mins
Time to make waves! You can now legally and confidently operate a boat.
Why Take This Course?
|Washington-Approved boater education|
|No minimum time requirements|
|Complete the course in under 3 hours|
The Boater Education Card
The Boater Education Card (often referred to as "Washington Boating License" or "Washington Boater Education Card") is proof that you have successfully completed all state-mandated boater education requirements.
Vessel operators who are required to have a Boater Education Card must carry their card on board the vessel and have it available for inspection by enforcement officers.
The Only Approved Interactive Boater Safety Course in Washington
This interactive course was developed in accordance with the standards set forth by NASBLA as well as meets the requirements of the Washington State Parks.
Official course provider approved by:
Washington State Parks
PO Box 42650
Olympia, WA 98504
The Only Gamified Interactive Course
Washington-Approved Boater Safety Education
Our interactive boater safety course satisfies all boater education requirements established by NASBLA and the Washington State Parks.
No Minimum Time Requirements
Students complete our interactive courses faster than our traditional courses. Why? There are no timers—ever!
Complete the Course in Under 3 Hours
Instruction that engages the brain using both words and images has been shown to significantly increase student retention and comprehension. When you combine interactive learning with no minimum time requirement, it’s easy to understand why many of our students complete their boater education in under 3 hours!
Make choices for your character that will earn you awards and allow you to move through levels by applying what you’ve learned about boater safety throughout the challenges.
We made sure to include plenty of mini-games and realistic simulations to keep you engaged along the way. Earn achievement badges as you master trip planning, emergency preparation, and safety operations. Crack all of the levels, and you will be awarded your boating education certificate.
Washington Boating Laws and Regulations
Washington law requires boater education for all boaters who operate a boat of powered by a motor of 15 horsepower or more.
Washington Age and Operator Restrictions
- No one under the age of 16 years may lease, hire, or rent a PWC.
- Persons 12 years of age or older may operate a power-driven vessel with an engine that is 15 horsepower or more if they have a Washington Boater Education Card.
- Persons 14 years of age or older may operate a PWC if they have a Washington Boater Education Card.
Exemptions to Washington Boater Education Requirements
Some operators are exempt from the boater safety education requirement.
- Any person born before Jan. 1, 1955
- Any person 12 years of age or older who is operating a power-driven vessel with an engine that is 15 horsepower or more and is accompanied by and under the direct supervision of a person 16 years of age or older who has a Washington Boater Education Card
- Any person at least 14 years of age who is operating a rented, chartered, or leased power-driven vessel with an engine that is 15 horsepower or more (other than a personal watercraft) and who completes and carries on board an approved motor vessel safety operating and equipment checklist (valid during the rental period only)
- Any person who is a non-resident and who operates on Washington waters for 60 consecutive days or less
Boating Safety Resources
For additional information and resources related to best boating safety practices, read through our latest blog posts.
Do You Need a License to Drive a Jet Ski?
Boating season brings people of all ages dashing to the waterfront...
What You Need To Know About Boating Accidents
The U.S. Coast Guard has released its annual report on boating accidents...
Essential Boating Safety Equipment
According to the United States Coast Guard (USCG), there were 613 deadly boating...
Frequently Asked boating Questions
Price and Payment
- How much does the Washington ilearntoboat Course cost?
The Washington ilearntoboat Course fee is $54.95. You will also pay a $10.50 Washington State Parks fee.
Taking the Course
- Do you need Washington Boating education?
You need boating education in Washington if you will be operating a PWC or boat of 15 hp.
Are there any age or operator restrictions for boating in Washington?
- What is the minimum age to take this online course?
You must be at least 12 years old to take this online course.
- Do I have to be a resident to take the Washington ilearntoboat Course?
You do not have to be a resident of Washington to take this online course.
Course Approval and Acceptance
- Is the Washington ilearntoboat Course approved by the Washington State Parks?
The Washington ilearntoboat Course is approved and accepted by the Washington State Parks.
- Is my Washington Boater Education Card accepted elsewhere?
For visiting boaters, all states, territories, and provinces will recognize boating education cards that meet NASBLA requirements and Canadian Pleasure Craft Operator Cards that meet Transport Canada's requirements.
Quizzes and/or Exams
- Do I have to take an online exam?
The Certification Exam is the exam you take at the end of the online course. You must score at least 80% on the exam to pass. You have unlimited attempts to pass the exam. If you don’t complete the exam in one session, don’t worry. When you log in later, you will be taken to the first unanswered question of the exam.
About Your Certification
- What is the proof of online Washington ilearntoboat Course completion?
Once you pay for and pass the online course, you will be able to immediately print out the Certificate of Course Completion. This is your proof of online course completion. You can print the Certificate of Course Completion right then, and/or request that a PDF be emailed to you. This certificate EXPIRES 60 days after course completion.
- What is the permanent Washington Boater Education Card?
The Boater Education Card is proof that you have successfully completed all the education requirements. The Boater Education Card will arrive within 6 weeks after you complete all certification requirements.
Replacement of Lost or Damaged Documents
- How do I replace my Boater Education Card if I’ve lost it or it has been damaged?
To replace a lost, destroyed, or damaged Boater Education Card, go to http://parks.state.wa.us/DocumentCenter/View/2199.
Your ilearntoboat course comes with a dedicated customer service team made up of real people, not robots. We’re here to provide assistance to you through all channels—phone, email, and chat.
We’re available to help you:
Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. CST, and
Saturday and Sunday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. CST
1-800-830-2268 (toll free)