Boat fires demand immediate action. They can quickly lead to devastating consequences.
Fumes can easily get trapped in a boat; this, combined with a fuel source, makes boat fires very dangerous very quickly.
How to Respond to a Marine Fire
If a fire starts while you are on board a boat:
- Immediately stop the engine.
- Position the boat so that the wind is blowing the fire away from the boat. This will help minimize its spread and smoke inhalation.
- Shut off the gas to the engine, and disconnect the gas tank, if possible. Remove any additional fuel sources.
- Use your marine-rated fire extinguisher.
- Aim for the base of the fire.
- Pull the pin and squeeze the two levers together to engage the extinguisher.
- Continue using it until the fire is completely extinguished.