If you are in a boating accident, you must file a report with local law enforcement. This is required under federal law; not filing a report can result in fines and possibly jail time.
When Is a Boating Accident Report Required?
Examples of when you’ll need to file an accident report include accidents that involve:
- Missing persons
- Injuries requiring treatment
- Property damage
If involved in an accident, you’re required by law to do the following:
- Stop; identify yourself and your boat.
- Provide assistance, if you can, and if it is safe to do so.
- Take down all pertinent information, including the date, time, and conditions.
- File an accident report with the local authorities.